Are you looking for ways to make family game night more exciting? Offer an array of prizes to the winners.
Everyone likes to win awards. Combine that with the silliness of family game night and you’ve got something to remember. Here are some ideas for creating a family game night that deserves a special award like engraved crystal awards.
1. Ditch the board games: Get your family active with games that require physical activity (PDF). Hold Olympic style games with each child competing in his or her favorite activity. Award each child for his or her accomplishments during a formal awards ceremony. When the weather for outdoor games is not cooperating, move the fun indoors with console games.
2. Take Turns: Have each family member take turns picking the games, who will judge the events and who will compete. This way everyone gets a chance to call the shots and the parents will have a chance to compete and win the best-looking crystal awards, too.
3. Do Not Make Excuses: Making family game night a priority and a routine is very important. Do not let everyday life get in the way of sticking to this promise of time spent with your family. Make it a point that everyone participate. Make family game night one everyone can look forward to without disappointments.
4. Bring on the Party: Make family game night an event with all the excitement of a party. Include fun food, drinks and a relaxed fun atmosphere. You throw parties to commemorate special occasions so why not celebrate family game night as one of those special occasions complete with trophies or crystal awards.
5. Create Teams: Every once in a while create family teams such as brown eyes or blue eyes or a combination that works for your family dynamics. You can host a family fight night in the back yard with water guns, flour bombs or silly string. You will create lively life.
6. Invite Family Friends: Create your family team and compete with your friends and neighbors family teams. Competition can include fun TV style games like Family Feud or obstacle courses set for all age and abilities. Nothing brings a family together faster than creating a team atmosphere where you all work together.
7. Find a Classic Board Game: Find games that no one has played before or at least the parents haven’t played since they were a kid. Teaching and sharing memories of the fun board games from your past will bring out the kid in everyone.
8. Host a Talent Night: All of your kids and even your spouse have a hidden talent just waiting to be discovered. You could host a talent night where each person shows off their secret talents and then everyone votes for the winner who would win the crystal awards.
9. Game Show Night: Everyone loves a game show. Host a special night for your favorite game show. Be sure to assign a host and give them the microphone and tails props to act out their part. You can even video tape your performances to preserve your silly memories and to share with friends and family. Who knows you may even submit the tape as an audition to a real game show.
Colleen Kelly via Flickr via CC BY 2.0 license.
Brian Auer via Flickr via CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 license.