Moving big and heavy furnishings is a true challenge, especially if you do everything by yourself instead of calling one of the removal agencies in your region for some professional help. Nevertheless, there are some important tips and tricks for moving big heavy furnishings or other big items. From the boxing and the wrapping to the loading and the unloading of the giant furnishings – the following tips are always useful:
1) Try not to handle or lift the largest and heaviest furnishings. Yet there are some steps of the relocation process when they have to be lifted, but throughout most of the time, you can use gliding blankets. Just put that blanket on the floor or lift the big heavy furniture corner by corner to slide the blanket underneath it. Then, all you have to do is to glide the object to its place in the new house or to a better location in the removal van, for example. One, the gliding blanket protects your furniture, two, it protects the floor of the removal van from scratches and three – it saves your power and it makes the moving much quicker. Not to mention that you can glide one giant and heavy piece of furniture just by yourself, which in other case should need at least one more helper for heavy lifting.
2) Some big furnishings are recommended only for lifting. In this case, it is much easier to handle and lift the objects by using lifting straps. Even one person can lift a giant piece of furniture like kitchen cabinet or a dozen bookshelves at once, thanks to the lifting straps. The hands are free during the most of the time and so it is quite convenient for opening doors or while climbing stairs with that big piece in front.
3) To protect the edges of the biggest furnishings – use edge protectors. They are made out of heavy-duty materials and so they protect the most delicate parts such as the edges of wooden tables and chairs from hits and scratches. The protective edges can also be used for a vast array of objects ranging from huge paintings with wooden frames, to flat TV screens, mirrors and wardrobes.
4) Get plenty of removal boxes for the moving day. The larger the boxes – the greater the chance to fit in your biggest furniture at home. Of course, you should first dismantle the giant furnishings. They require quite less space when dismantled, while the handling becomes easier when all the pieces are packed in removal boxes. That`s why you should get heavy duty boxes. Another great tip is to use boxes that have holes for the handles, which makes the moving much easier when the boxes are lifted from the both sides.
5) In the hurry, you probably may miss to load the biggest and heaviest furnishings first in the removal van. This is essential for centering the weight of the van justly and therefore to reduce the risk from falling of some objects, turning or gliding inside the removal van during the trip. What better way to ensure the safety of your big furnishings than making sure that they are wrapped tightly and their places are secured.
6) Use extra wrappings and stuffing for the empty spaces between the furniture walls and the walls of the box. From old newspapers to blankets, clothes and cushions – make sure that the biggest pieces of furniture are tightly packed. The heavy-duty tape is another important highlight to tighten and seal the numerous pieces of the dismantled furnishings, for example.